Friday, May 22, 2009

The Accidental Parsnips


While running the weed-eater over along the fence last week, I noticed a weed that really didn't look like a weed. So, I left it, or at least what hadn't already succumbed to the slash of the string line. Today I took a closer look, and it is parsnips! Two years ago I grew parsnips about 10 feet uphill and closer to the barn than this volunteer patch. I apparently didn't get them all dug the first planting. I suppose some reseeded and grew last year amongst the weeds, and now have reseeded again farther down the slope.

I don't know if I should dig one to see if they are woody or not. This is the wrong time of the year for me and parsnips! Winter would be better, as they are an important addition to my Oven Roasted Winter Veggies.

Oven Roasted Winter Veggies

Preheat oven to 425ºF. Take a large baking dish/pan and pour about a tablespoon or two (depending on size of dish) of a good olive oil in the bottom. Cut small chunks of carrots, sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes, rutabagas, winter squash, parsnips and any other winter vegetables you have on hand, and place them in a single layer in your pan. Toss to coat them evenly with the olive oil; add 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried, and sprinkle generously with coarse salt. (Not rock salt!) Cook in hot oven for about an hour total, until vegetables are tender, but every 15 minutes remove pan from oven and stir contents. With 30 minutes to go, I like to add several whole, unpeeled garlic cloves; with 15 minutes to go, I add mushrooms if I have any on hand.


Serve with a fresh green salad and a loaf of hearty, crusty bread. Yum!

5 comments:

  1. I've tried your recipe for oven roasted winter veggies and can only say it is the best ever. Being a city dweller I have to buy my veggies but always try to find organic.

    Love your Blog and wish you great success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd dig one up, just to see what you've got. Roasted veggies sound sooo good. I'll have to try roasting them your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, GW... I've been thinking I should dig one up just to see what I've got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you end up digging one? Have to do the roasted veggie recipe sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't dug one yet since we've had several days now of rain. Soon, though... and I'll post what I find!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.