Saturday, July 18, 2009

Goodbye, Mr. Cronkite


It was only because of men like Walter Cronkite and Edward. R. Murrow (who recruited Cronkite for CBS News) that I ever began really paying attention to the news. Of course, that was back in the days when the news was seldom manipulated nor controlled.

I did not always agree with Walter Cronkite on some of his rarely voiced personal views, but I certainly respected the integrity of the man, and his broadcasting. He said,
“There is no such thing as a little freedom. Either you are all free, or you are not free.” Mr. Cronkite died July 17 from cerebrovascular disease.

I saw many similarities in the two men. Mr. Murrow is quoted as saying, “
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.

Mr. Cronkite said,
“There is no such thing as a little freedom. Either you are all free, or you are not free.”

And that's the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.