Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Here's a Tasty photo...


I know I have mentioned several times that I am having a great fall crop of raspberries. In most years, my fall crop is always better than the earliier crop in June; this year it has been a bumper crop. Which is a good thing because most of my 'backyard crops' for this year are non-existent.

The photo above was taken just 2 days ago, so you can see there are more berries still to mature.
My raspberry plants are a mix of Heritage, Caroline, and some native canes from North Carolina I acquired years ago. I can tell the native berries from the other 2... they are smaller berries. Then, Heritage matures earlier than Caroline, so I'd say the photo is probably of Caroline berries, although I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

I suppose I have picked about 4 gallons or more, from a total of about 20 row-feet of canes. I think the size of the yield this year is due to several reasons. For one thing, they have been in this spot 2 years now, and I think they like it. They are also lightly organically fertilized just once in spring, and side-dressed with minerals like
Greensand, or Azomite. It is probably a boon that we had lots of wet weather off and on, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.