Friday, March 12, 2010

My Thyroid Condition, and Soy



Just a quick post. My Endocrine Doctor from UVa just called; she is putting me on thyroid medications. My thyroid is functioning, but only putting out low amounts, and she's not sure why, yet.


Coincidentally, I am currently researching antinutrients for some upcoming posts. One thing I have been against for many years is soy as a food. (I will write/post about that later.)
Then right after my doctor called, I came across a notation that soy is in most supermarket foods. That comment didn't concern me as I read it because I don't eat soy products unless they have a long, slow fermentation like true tamari or soy sauce.

However, then I further read that almost all supermarket breads, rolls, muffins, etc. contains soy.
Huh? I never see that on the label. I read labels. Always. Often I see 'isoflavones' on a label, and really hadn't thought much about it. Well, Duh! Isoflavones are generally made from beans. Soybeans. Almost all artificial flavorings, flavor enhancers, preservatives, synthetic nutrients and sweeteners are made with Soy Protein Isolate, SPI.

So what does that have to do with my thyroid? Soy contains goitrogens, which are substances that depress thyroid function!

Oh, there is much more to say about soy and its negative effects on our bodies, but that's for another day...

3 comments:

  1. I also have a thyroid problem like yours.Thank you for the information about soy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfermented soy is only one of the factors in our modern world that are hijacking our thyroid glands.

    Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cabbage are also goitrogenic unless cooked or fermented.

    Bromine/bromides, chlorine/chlorides and flourine/flourides in our environment will also interfere with thyroid functioning. Our thyroid glands need iodine to function properly but receptor will accept one of the other aforementioned halogens in its place. If we ingest the others, either by mouth or by absorbing through skin and/or mucous membranes, the bromide, chloride or fluoride molecule will fill up the thyroid glands iodine receptors but will not allow the cells to complete their proper function.

    Bromides are used in many commercial breads. Flourides are in many municipal drinking waters in addition to toothpaste. Chlorine is in tap water and swimming pools.

    An additional factor in low thyroid functioning is adrenal fatigue, which may be the primary condition and may be triggering a secondary hypothyroid condition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s better to learn more about your thyroid problem than trying to find the right thyroid medication for you. In other words, get a proper checkup before taking any thyroid natural supplements.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.