Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Holiday Cordial

Several weeks back I posted about drying Thompson Seedless Grapes for sultanas to go into my step-father's Holiday Cordial recipe. I did start the cordial but somehow forgot to post it.

There are many variations of this recipe online, but I have tried to do mine just from memory. My step-father has been dead over 20 years, and apparently my mother never wrote down his recipe, either... or at least I haven't found it.


Boerenjongens
1 pound sultanas 
1 pound rock crystal candy
1 fifth brandy 

Place sultanas and rock candy in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Pour the brandy over the sultanas and candy. Cover, and let it sit undisturbed for at least 2 months. Just before you are ready to serve some, gently stir it a bit. Ladle into cordial glasses to serve. 

Use some of the sultanas in the liquid as a sauce for ham. Use some of it in the core of apples for a flavorful baked apple. Yum!

Notes: I only made half the amount listed in the recipe because I don't drink. I started mine in the large jar shown above only because the strings of the rock crystal candy were too tall for a smaller jar. The candy dissolved in 2-3 days and I fished out the strings the crystals were grown on, and transferred the contents to a smaller jar with much less airspace.

I have not made this in many, many years, but I thought it would be nice to serve some during the holidays in memory of my mother and step-father.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.