Monday, April 18, 2011

There's Something SO Exciting about seeing a Seed Sprout!



Today, my first seed sprout emerged. Keep in mind, I'm a gardener who starts seeds every year so it should be "old hat" to me, but somehow, it's as exciting as if I'd never seen it happen!

Perhaps because it reminds me of the infinite knowledge carried in a tiny seed that allows it to become a squash, or a pepper, or an orange tree... and to both provide food for me, and to also make more seeds so it can reproduce? Or perhaps it is a reminder that Life prevails in Nature despite humankind's collective efforts to destroy it.

It has always fascinated me that a single human egg and a sperm can combine and grow into a complex organism where some cells that have divided know to make arms or legs and other cells know to make hearts and lungs. 

I'm sure something similar happens when a plant seed starts to grow... some cells know to make stems and leaves, some know to make flowers... which in turn know to make fruits containing seeds, either on the outside like strawberries, blackberries or cashews, or the inside of the fruit like tomatoes and bananas.

It's kind of awesome, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. It's totally awesome. I've been gardening for many years, but I still get so giddy when I see those seeds coming up. Just the joyousness of life, the way it's supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Harold. Nice to know someone else sees the "wonder" in the act!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.