Friday, July 8, 2011

Fall Planting Calculator, Free

Now is the time to schedule and/or plant fall crops, and Johnny's Selected Seeds has a great calculator you can download for free to make the planning simple. It is programmed by vegetable with dates to maturity, and all you need to do is replace the 10/1/2011 first frost date with the first frost date in your zone. That will give you the planting date for each seed type for the best harvest. (Only a couple of dates have already passed for my micro-climate area, things I probably wouldn't grow anyway.)

It doesn't include planting dates if you are using frost protection like row covers, just the dates if you are planting unprotected in the ground. 

I plan to make good use of it since I always think I will plant fall crops and then miss the dates and end up with immature vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.