Sunday, February 5, 2012

When did Alaska move to China??

I was food shopping yesterday at a natural foods store (Harvest Moon, Floyd, VA) about a 2 hour drive from here, and saw "Wild Alaskan Salmon" in the freezer section. The packaging touted it was free of all the stuff I avoid, so I picked up a small piece. They were vacuum-packed in individual portions (I forget the weights) and although quite pricey, I thought I might treat myself to one package... I haven't had salmon in ages!

However, being the concerned shopper I have become... I took the package over to a stronger light so I could read the teeny-tiny fine print... only to read that this "Wild Alaskan Salmon" was a product............ of China!!!

Well, I want to know just WHEN Alaska moved to China?? 

How can they advertise wild Alaskan salmon on the package when it's from China??? No doubt it's also farm-raised. And for God's sake, this was for sale in a health foods store!!!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. It's become common for produce grown in the UK to be shipped to China to be processed. How weird is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the shrimp and chicken we eat today comes from china
    But when do we learn to speak Spanish or Chinese or Japanese
    We are owned by the last two

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we sold them Alaska to pay off our debt. Yes something fishy all right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments. I hate to think of the food miles on produce from the UK that's shipped to China to be packaged.

    The wild Alaskan salmon didn't say "packaged in China", just "product of China" but I wouldn't have bought it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its pretty sad when garlic, sold in the midwest, is labeled from china. you'd think we could grow just about anything here. the only good thing about increased oil prices is that it *should* start to get too expensive to ship products around the world - to china - to be packaged. its a crazy world we live in, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, increased oil prices won't affect packaging in China... food costs will just increase accordingly.

      On the other hand, anyone, even a non-gardened, can grow garlic so why are we importing it??

      Delete
  6. Hey Darius The packing ships are in the coastal waters of alaska packing the fish there contracted through China if you watched deallest catch the packing boats are china owned they pack it and freeze it on the ship these ships are very very large they can hold a full season of supplies and fish, these ships have 100 to 150 people aboard 3 shifts some only have two shifts that 12 hours a day when my wife and I lived in washington state we had the boat crews storing there thing in our storage lockers the work for 2 to 4 months aboard ship and then go home some of them live in soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not watched that show, but it's pitiful if our salmon has to come to us via China.

      Where is "soma" where you say some of the workers live?

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the post mate you have written it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sad. I think the worst part, though, is that we have to so carefully read the packages or we end up buying something we never intended. The labeling is so misleading, if we don't read the fine print.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it IS sad, and so is the lack of better information on the labels (like GMO).

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.