Thursday, March 15, 2012

Buy Safe Seeds, guaranteed not GMO seeds

Several folks have asked where I buy my seeds. I really don't buy many, except for new things I want to try. Most of my seeds are my own saved seeds, or from swaps with friends.




When I do buy seeds, I ONLY buy from a company that has signed the Safe Seed Pledge.

Here's the Pledge:


"Agriculture and seeds provide the basis upon which our lives depend. We must protect this foundation as a safe and genetically stable source for future generations. For the benefit of all farmers, gardeners and consumers who want an alternative, we pledge that we do not knowingly buy or sell genetically engineered seeds or plants. The mechanical transfer of genetic material outside of natural reproductive methods and between genera, families or kingdoms, poses great biological risks as well as economic, political, and cultural threats. We feel that genetically engineered varieties have been insufficiently tested prior to public release. More research and testing is necessary to further asses the potential risks of genetically engineered seeds. Further, we wish to support agricultural progress that leads to healthier soils, genetically diverse agricultural ecosystems and ultimately people and communities."




For more information contact: 
The Safe Seed Project 
5 Upland Road, Suite 3
Cambridge, MA 02140
Telephone: (617) 868-0870





4 comments:

  1. Excellent list D. Thanks for the info. I got a few things from Landreth this year. Love the vintage catalog they have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent them a $5 catalog donation, never rec'd their catalog though.

      Delete
    2. Whoops... I lied. Their catalog had come and my sister had it. Don't know why since she's not a gardener.

      Delete
  2. Buy seeds online from now on. You can find the cheapest prices online.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.