Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Fennel and Apples



I still have quite a few sweet potatoes and winter squash stored in my cool pantry, so I've been looking at new ways to use them before they aren't good anymore. I found this recipe online, Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Fennel, Apples, and Pecans.

I didn't add the pecans (I can't chew nuts), nor the maple syrup (I don't need the sugar), but I did sprinkle a little cinnamon mixed into a full teaspoon of sugar over the top before roasting.

I served this with the rabbit I fried. YUM!

3 comments:

  1. I can't eat apples and avoid all sweeteners and dislike fennel. So I changed this to Sweet Potatoes with Pears and Pecans. I added 1/2 tsp. cinnamon too. I may add in 1/4 tsp. allspice next.

    Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be tasty with pears, and I wonder what other fruit might pair well with roasted sweet potatoes? Cherries? Grapes? Citrus?

    Cranberries or quince might be too tart without a sweetener. My old cranberry-pear claflouti recipe called for much more sugar that I'd use anymore: http://2footalligator.blogspot.com/2010/11/cranberry-pear-clafouti.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to the high sugar/fructose content of cherries, grapes, and citrus, I very seldom eat them. Dried cranberries might be nice, sprinkled on after roasting, if you can find unsweetened ones. After roasting, you could add berries, too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.