Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cravings 2

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3A2006_sardines_can_open.jpg
 
I'm concentrating on listening to my body... 

As I was winding down from the recent cravings for grapefruit (which helped balance my body pH), I next got a craving for sardines!

Sardines??? Yep, sardines. Sardines in olive oil. Not sardines in tomato sauce, not sardines in mustard sauce, not sardines in safflower, safflower, canola or other oils, not sardines in water, but sardines in olive oil.

I don't remember when I first ate sardines but it sure wasn't with my family when I was growing up. In the beginning I only ate skinless and boneless tinned sardines, and then I learned how much nutrition (like calcium) is in the bones... and I found the bones are soft without any crunch so you don't even realize you are eating them.

These days I always keep a few tins of sardines in my pantry. They make a great survival food, packing a lot of nutrition in a small tin and don't take up much space in the pantry. They are also handy when I need to eat something NOW (like when I haven't planned ahead for a meal).

So, I had sardines piled on saltine crackers last night, along with a big salad. As I was eating them, I realized why I was craving sardines... My most recent hospital stay was due to a high count of ammonia in my bloodwork. One of the things that can cause that problem is from an abundance of proteins that don't fully digest, and frankly my diet is fairly high in proteins. 

The main protein I eat is from grass-fed beef, which is high in Omega-3. Cutting back on  protein per my doctor's advice, has also cut the amount of Omega-3 in my diet. Sardines are high in Omega-3, Calcium, Selenium (a component of the antioxidant enzymes), Vitamin D, and B12. 

Sardines have a high ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3, which I don't much like, but I really don't eat them that often. Anchovies have all the good things that sardines have... and a great ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3, but not something I'd sit down and eat a tin of them. Too salty, for one thing.

I have never lived where fresh sardines were available from a fishmonger but I'd love to know how they taste fresh. I see photos of sardines on the grille that look very appealing, and sardines cooked/served in a variety of other ways.

I guess I'll dream of going to Portugal...

2 comments:

  1. I also keep sardines, but mine are in water. Interesting about the Omegas balances. I know about the added nutrition from the bones, etc. but finicky me carefully filets each fish. LOL It's the spine bones I can feel crunch, if I eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, I wonder if being canned in olive oil makes the bones softer? I do admit that I like some brands much better than others.

      The last few tins I bought were Matiz brand (Spanish). I get them from an Asian market and pay under $4 per tin. They used to carry a less expensive Moroccan brand I liked, but it's been ages since I've seen them.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.